Embed from Getty ImagesHurricane Harvey survivors begin the daunting task of re-establishing their lives after an epic and unprecedented flood devastated life as they once knew it.
On Friday August 25, 2017, Hurricane Harvey slammed into the Texas Gulf Coast and was downgraded to a tropical storm that left a path of destruction in the Houston area.
Photos of boats on flooded streets rescuing residents, and helicopters airlifting men, women and children to safety will be etched in the memories of the American public for quite some time.
In 2005, another great American disaster—Hurricane Katrina–displaced thousands of people. Many never returned to New Orleans and it appears as if we are about to see the same scenario in Texas.
Where are displaced residents whose homes were destroyed going to go? And how will uninsured homeowners pay for repairs? Even homeowners who have flood insurance through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program may be willing for a while to get money from the program that is $25 billion in debt.
FEMA officials said that providing assistance for Harvey victims will be a “years long” effort. So, it is going to be a long haul for Harvey survivors. After news reporters move on to cover other “breaking news,” and financial donations dry up, Harvey survivors will still need help.
Please join United in Christ Ministries of Canton in prayer for all Hurricane Harvey survivors.
1. Pray for their spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional healing. They have endured such trauma that only the Spirit of the Living God can help them move forward.
2. Pray that all displaced survivors find the necessary resources to help them rebuild their homes or relocate.
3. Pray that those who are grieving over their family members and friends who died in the floods will experience God’s comfort and peace.
4. Pray that through this experience, Christians will be willing to boldly share the Gospel to those who are recovering from their losses so that they can begin a new life in Jesus Christ as they rebuild their lives.
5. Pray that those who are already Christians will deepen their faith in Jesus Christ and not feel that God has abandoned them.